Planning Permission - Archi-Tec Architectural Design Services Northamptonshire - Commercial & Domestic
Home | About| Contact
Planning Permission

Planning Permission

The Planning System

The planning system plays an important role in helping protect the environment in our towns and cities and in the countryside.

Your local planning authority is responsible for deciding whether a development - from an extension on a house to a new shopping centre - should go ahead.

Permitted Development

Not all development needs planning permission. You don't need planning permission for most types of internal alterations to buildings unless the building is listed, or for some external changes (e.g. installing telephone connections or alarm boxes). Any other types of development will most likely need permission - the 'further information' below lists some of the common types of work where planning permission is needed.

Examples of when you will need planning permission

The following are examples of when you will need to apply for planning permission:
  • You want to make external additions or extensions to a flat or maisonette (including those converted from houses).
  • You want to divide off part of your house for use as a separate home (for example, a self-contained flat or bed-sit) or use a caravan in your garden as a home for someone else.
  • You want to divide off part of your home for business or commercial use (for example, a workshop).
  • You want to build a parking place for a commercial vehicle at your home.
  • You want to build something which goes against the terms of the original planning permission for your house - for example, your house may have been built with a restriction to stop people putting up fences in front gardens because it is on an "open plan" estate. We have a record of all planning permissions in the area of your property.
Other small changes, for example putting up walls and fences below a certain height, have a general planning permission for which an application is not required.

It is always best to check with your council before you carry out any building work, even if you think you do not require planning permission. Article 4 Directions are sometimes issued by the Council in circumstances where specific control over development is required, primarily where the character of an area of acknowledged importance would be threatened.